Hail Mary, full of grace...that's all I know.

Ok, so I'm not a big fan of crabcakes. They were probably very good ones, the ones I ordered at Shuckers at Fell's Point, but trying to eat both fist-sized cakes after an order of
calamari might not have been the best way to appreciate them. I was too mesmerized with the view of the sunset over Chesapeake Bay to really care at that point. The retiring sun was painting merciless hues of red and orange behind silhouettes of schooners, sailboats, and other assorted maritime majestics. Plus the miles of power walking around Baltimore's Inner Harbour area had left me too hungry to be picky. And most importantly, I had a game plan for dessert: Meli Patisserie and Restaurant. My Napoleon was so incredibly sinful, I just might have to learn the words to Hail Mary to ease my conscience. I was so excited when the waitress served my dessert and coffee ('Meli' was written in chocolate script on the dessert plate) that I literally dumped my creamer pitcher all over the table in my efforts to take a picture of the masterpiece. Of course, that didn't stop me from getting a to-go dessert later on that evening after the Ghost Tour.
The tour itself was one of the best ones I've been on. Since that entailed being outside for an hour and a half in 40ish degree weather, you know that's quite an endorsement from me. The guide, sticking to her Colonial character, accent and all, had just the right balance of humor, historical education, and creeps-ville stories. She was a bit sadistic; because of the mass graves (immigrants that didn't make it to the Promise Land on the coffin ships) under the cobbled streets, she made us hold hands as we walked across. Four grownups holding hands like kindergartners. If that doesn't get you funny looks from the pub patrons, then you might be in Vegas.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

That Napoleon sounds delicious--haven't had a "real" one since Africa. And, hey, where's the picture you went to such great pains to obtain? :)

iron girl traveling said...

It miraculously tasted every bit as good as it looked! I took the picture with my phone, have to wait til I get home to xfer it to the blog. Maybe I'll try to get it to fb...

bluesugarpoet said...

ghost tour?! I'm jealous! sounds like you had a blast. :)

iron girl traveling said...

Bsp---yeah, it was a great one. baltimore is even better than I expected. Did you see all the pix of skulls on facebook?