BSP vs. Telleraiser - lightweight division

Blue Sugar Poet was holding out on me. Fly into Portland, she says. I'll pick you up and we can drive back to Sac, she says. Just me and the girls, she says. Later discussion with her husband, pretending to enjoy his temporary bachelor status, mentions another pikken joining the herd - already 4 strong, not including BSP and myself. Oh, and the dog. The dog. Let me tell you about the dog. During our 50K training period, BSP brought Champ out for one of our runs. For eight miles, we logged new speed records just to prevent facial road-rash as uberdog set the pace. Curls with 20-lb weights wouldn't have given me a better bicep workout than trying to reign in this dog's power. So, yes, I'm having visions of National Lampoon dancing in my head. As long as I'm not the grandmother.

But seriously, I'm excited to make this road trip. I've never driven any real asphalt between California and Oregon, which is as shameful for a Californian "native" (if you know me, you're laughing; there's no moss on the bottoms of my feet, but Cali has been the closest thing to home for me) to admit as it was shameful to be wearing a parka in San Diego. At least I had my Chargers beanie on.

So I've packed my rain gear and my hiking boots, I've upgraded my phone plan to include Internet so I can twitter as we travel, and I've got another great book - The Angel's Game - to outlast the absurdly oversold flights to Portland. Wish us luck!

** Pikken -- pidgeon English for child

No comments: