I want that job...

Playa Flamenco in Culebra, Puerto Rico, has the distinguished honor of being #2 or #3 top beach in the world. I find myself asking why. I'm trying to figure out who gets to award that honor, and why he/she picked Flamenco. With so many beaches in the world, what criteria was used to place Flamenco on the top-10 list? So what if the sand is so fine, I no longer feel the need to pay for a spa pedi when I just got the pleasure of nature's own pedicure, exfoliation and message treatment simultaneously occurring as I pad along the beach? That's nothing spectacular. The amenities are handy...changing rooms, picnic tables, umbrella rentals, food & drink shacks nearby. But just because the bbq chicken kabobs with rice & pegeon beans was the second best meal I've had in PR (Restaurant Bili on Vieques was the best) shouldn't count for much. The crescent of white sand that embraces the waters of the Carribbean isn't too shabby. In fact, the ocean waters, obvious fans of my blog, were passionately creating every shade of blue imaginable just to resuscitate my parvacellular ganglions left for dead by the whiteness of Nome. Is that top-10 worthy? Leaving footprints in an almost virginal palate of sand, I slipped my snorkel mask on and dipped into the sea. So what if it's like an underwater safari? One coral type imitated banyan trees with their massive canopies, other type imitated termite hills. Herds of marine wildlife darted in and out, testing out my new underwater digital camera. What's so great about all that? An abandoned pier left two fingers of stone and concrete reaching into the waters, creating a family-friendly cove where toddlers could experience the splendor of the ocean without being attacked by killer waves. Are any of these reasons good enough to place Flamenco so high up on the world's list? There must be at least a dozen beaches better suited for such distinction. I'm sure I've been to at least a few that are better qualified; a little too much Puerto Rican adrenaline from canyoning and buoy-watching has muddled my memory a little, but there must be better beaches. Granted, I'll need to actively beach-hop for at least 10 or 20 years to find those places, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. With minimal complaining.

P.S. Can't post videos yet, check back by Thurs.

2 comments:

CMill said...

Hey Irongirl, Glad to her you made it to both Vieques & Culebra! Drop me an email when you get stateside and want to trade Aventuras pictures.

Jerolyn Bogear said...

You wouldn't want that job. Not enough blood and body tissue involved.